Non-verbal cues of dominance is not something new. In fact, our early ancestors, the primates, are still practising it today:
A dominant male in a group of primates. Image from www.pandrillus.org.
Notice the stance of the dominant male pictured, sitting with his legs wide apart, showing off how er... big(or colourful), he is. We know that primates communicate with sounds but in this case, I think we can safely say that they too, are practicing a form of non-verbal communication to show superiority.
The interesting thing is that even after centuries of evolution, our 'dominant' males aren't too far off from where the monkeys left them:
No, it's not his bag that is in the way. Image from london-underground.blogspot.com.
Here are some of the non-verbal actions our local boys have evolved to express the ownerships of their significant other:
'Your Elle-Vee bag berry nice, I want to carry too!'

'Haneey, I hold handbag lidat correct not?'
Disclaimer: These pictures were spotted here. I do not loiter in shopping centres taking dodgy paparazzi shots.
Back to the issue in discussion, there has been debate going on with regard to what the modern women want, besides their Gender Equality, from the Sensitive New Age Guy. One camp feels that chivalry should move ahead and evolve(recall monkey-man evolution above) with the times, while another fights for the fact that a man should remain a man and not a 'hanger of cutesy-girly accessories'.
Myself, as with most issues involving women, choose to sit on the fence. It is better to have a sore rear end than to endure a lifetime of verbal lashing, for 'hell hath no fury like a woman scorned'. With human evolution pushing on, I wonder if we will one day adopt the canines' non-verbal method of marking ownership:

Well, I have my own unique way of telling other people she's mine:
And maybe that's why I don't have any dates.
So, what is your way of non-verbally communicating that pretty/handsome person by your side is out with you?
And maybe that's why I don't have any dates.
So, what is your way of non-verbally communicating that pretty/handsome person by your side is out with you?




I just do it the basic way when expressing my 'love'. I always have physical contact with the people that I enjoy hanging out with, provided I know that they don't mind. Just maybe touching their shoulder when I make a point, or hugging them occasionally. It's nothing much, just an affectionate side that rises up sometimes. But I can't specifically say anything else other than that as I'm single and all. :]
ReplyDeleteAs a girl, I must say that I will only date a MAN, not some female-boy hybrid that seems so popular these days (feminine looking guys like the Jonas Brothers or Chace Crawford) or even metrosexuals like *gasp* David Beckham! And I'd like him to be tactful enough to be able to express his opinion without me wanting to rip his hair out in angry retaliation.
All this is possible, yo. And then when I get one such boy-toy, I will be able to answer your initial question. In time to come...
A very interesting entry Zed. For the longest time now, the males have shown their ownership over their partners by using primarily haptics in my opinion, be it embracing them in a tight hug once in a while or holding their hands whenever they walk together.
ReplyDeleteBut how times have changed, yes, with all the gender equality talk going on, the females have actually slowly evolved to become the more 'dominant' party in relationships in some instances. Could be due to the emergence of the new age sensitive guys like you mentioned, or otherwise. Regardless, if that is how things are going to be, I will just say let it be. Life is so mundane without new things isn't it.
Nice entry Zed. I enjoyed reading it alot. It is really interesing!
ReplyDeleteWomen have been fighting for equality with men. Throughout the years, women had indeed achieved alot in various aspects, including their career. However, I personally feel that when it comes to relationship, women are still quite narrow-minded. Most girls would still be waiting for the other party to take the initiative. Most girls would just hint to the opposite sex they are interested in.
As for guys, there are not much changes I suppose. They are still the ones taking initiative when it comes to love =p I guess it will always remain that way. Haha.
Zomgosh, wee tek bag 4 gurls? Not arthers wai round?
ReplyDeleteCarrying a bag for someone as a favour should always be initiated willingly by the other party. It is a simple form of care and concern now blown out of proportion by the social world. Doesn't it sucks to be with someone of another gender and they 'gender stereotype' you to act in some way, like guys have to 'take the girls bag', and girls have to 'speak/eat gently in small amounts during meal'?
PHOOOOOOOOOOONY.
Regards,
Shawn Lee Wei Bin
yes Shawn, i know of many girls who eat faster than i do, and guys who own 'manbags'. which reminds me, what brand is the $500 handbag Lucas carries around school? =P
ReplyDelete!!
ReplyDeleteshut up zed, you have been totally misinformed by a particular someone. and 2nd, it's not a bloody handbag.
I have heard many times over the notion that 95% of all human communication is non-verbal. Eye contact, body language, physical contact, and these days, MSN, facebook and god knows what else make up this 95%. In the case of myself and my fiancee, i am very grateful for this 95%, especially when my fiancee is upset and does the whole "whats wrong honey?, "NOTHING..." routine. Cmon, how many guys out there know what im talking about? Im sure im not alone on this one lol.
ReplyDeleteOn a serious note, when the woman says "NOTHING", she is often telling you exactly what she is unhappy about thru her body language at the same time. The same thing can be applied when people watching(much more innocent than it sounds). For example, you see a couple walking along hand in hand, you assume that they are happy together, but not much more than that. But pay attention to the way the hands are held and a wealth of information is divulged. Often times, one hand is clasping more tightly while the other is simply allowing itself to be held. That shows that one side seems much more invested, and there may be unresolved issues at play. Another sign may be the way they walk together. Often times, i couples where one is walking slightly ahead of the other, showing you which is in charge and which is subservient.
Such body language is not limited to couples and love, it applies to groups of friends, the office and coworkers and practically every other social setting. For example, the alpha male is always the lead of the group, and he can be singled out as the guy that both men and women seem to gravitate towards and he becomes the centre of most gatherings. The list is rather an endless one.
The crucial point im trying to make is that it is an integral part of every social setting, human, primate, fish, bird and so and so forth. I see nothing wrong with sitting like the baboon in the picture above.
In fact, that IS how i sit!
Cheers!
oh my goodness, i couldn't stop laughing when i saw this post of yours! and the bad news is, i laugh even harder after i saw your reply to shawn! lucas does not carry a handbag, it must be something far from a handbag since it does not catch my attention.
ReplyDeletewell, to express my love non-verbally, i would hook my guy's arm or walk really closely beside him. the verbal way would be whining in your so-called "tair" way of getting what i want! but i have to agree that the girl must be willing to let the guy hold her bag. personally, i would not allow that to happen if my guy looks horrible carrying my bag. haha but i couldn't help staring if a man looks like crap carrying his woman's handbag!
well, for this issue i can barely comment on, as i do not have a particularly important other in my life currently besides the books.
ReplyDeleteas for the table chope-ing pic, it only serves to remind me of the ugliness of many singaporeans. there are many languages of love, and for me, its an audio thing. for some others, its probably visual or touch. i respond significantly better to hearing sweet whispers than to seeing a huge balloon of declaration in the sky.
Guys waltzing around carrying their Gf's handbags makes me sick! Who should we blame the guys or the thoughtless girls?
ReplyDeleteI know a few girls who hate the idea of their bf's carrying their handbags.
The guys out there who fancy the whole idea about how they are sacrificing their pride to hold the ladies bag have a very twisted meaning of being noble!
A simple interlocking of fingers is my way of claiming that she is mine!
I think it was 70% not 95%.
ReplyDeleteAnyway I actually DID read in a book on body language that when guys sit in a manner where their erm pelvic is more exposed to you, it expresses some sort of interest..ahem. The other thing it might communicate depending on body posture is well..cockyness. Pun totally intended.
it seems thus far that the general consensus from the guys is that we are not DYING to carry handbags.
ReplyDeleteso where are the 'manbag' spotting guys? don't be shy! come tell us how to get the girl and keep her!
btw, nice one Darren!
There is no specific way to non-verbally expressing oneself to the other party in a relationship. Every couple behaves differently. As mentioned by Dr.Goulston, author of The (6 Secrets of a Lasting Relationship), one of the habits couples must develop is to Be Proud to be seen with your partner.
ReplyDeleteHappy couples are pleased to be
seen together and are often in some kind of affectionate contact -- hand on hand or hand on shoulder or knee or back of neck. They are not showing off but rather just saying that they belong with each other.
Hi Zed... This is a simple yet thought provoking post...
ReplyDeleteI do agree to what Shawn Lee said about these type of things are done out of sheer good will.
It's just that when it comes to certain things, the perception and views that we have are blown out of proportion or are simply misunderstood.
I (do) believe the men-bag-holders are putting the welfare of their girlfriends/wives at heart.Simply that.
With regard to your friend, Mr Singh's reply, I have the follwoing comment; In a relationship, it takes two hands to clap.
There should be moments when both sides should sit down and talk things out. We should not allow any type of body language to dictate our next move, next assumption or pre-empt when will it happen again.
By talking things out, the percentage will eventually decrease as constant communication erases problems and musunderstandings...
At the end of the day, what we perceive, assume or guess can only be rectify, acknowledge or confirm by talking it out the other party.
By the way, an interesting post! Don't fret about the lack of dates squire, you will find that love doesn't come from holding handbags or chopping.
It comes from patience and an acceptance that we are all wankers.
Cheers.
i can relate to the scene where people place packets of tissue on the tables to reserve their seat in the hawker center.
ReplyDeletei worked in the tanjong pagar office district b4 the commencement of my course. this is the epitome of the Singaporean "kiasu" (fear of losing out) spirit. and honestly speaking, it displayed the ugly side of the locals.
cant they just get their food b4 going to their seats? or one of their friends could always stay behind to tend to the seats.
the last time i checked, the packets of tissues have alr evolved into newspapers, with which they can reserve 4 seats at a time.
I can't really say much on this matter, considering the fact that I do not have that special someone in my life.
ReplyDeleteWhat I feel is that this whole issue of guys carrying their girls handbags is simply making a big issue out of nothing. I personally do not see what is the big deal about this.
If the guy wants to carry the bag for whatever reason, he should be free to do so without our scrutiny. It is his problem if he wants to carry it.
I suppose this is just an example of societal stereotypes in action. We see a handbag as a ladies item. Therefore, we find it strange that a guy should carry a handbag.
This does not mean we should try to ridicule him as he may have his own reasons for carrying one.
I don't object to a man holding his woman's handbag: it's not what he's holding but HOW he holds it. I shudder when I see a man with his lady's bag slung on his shoulder (fushia with monogram prints and the works). But if he were to hold it in his hand like you would a laptop (or, an apple, for that matter) I wouldn't be so disdainful. Then again, ultimately it's up to the lady whether or not she wants her man to carry her bag so if anyone should be scolded it should be the females.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, if I were to spend freaking $1.5k on a handbag, there's no damn way anyone else but myself is gonna carry it.
Well, as they say, its the many small actions that make the difference.
ReplyDeleteDoing it out of goodwill is perfectly okay and feels good most of the time, while being forced to do such small things all the time kinda takes the meaning away.
Kinda ironic here, cos if you really love you partner, you wouldnt mind doing anything, rite? heehee.. so i guess it comes down to personal ego/issues vs how much you love your partner?
Body posture totally rocks. Dont we guys all love the way girls walk and sway their hips^^
I don't have an issue with guys who hold their girlfriend's handbags for them. It doesn't really affect anyone else, does it? If they're happy, i would even smile for them.
ReplyDeletePeople chope-ing seats with tissue papers, i have not done that. Yet. I think having someone stay back might be more better, but why would that someone do that, when everywhere else people are just doing the tissue paper thing?
I really enjoyed reading your post, and the following discussions. Some make me laugh.. haha. We have some very funny people in class. (=
How nice would it be if men learned to more effectively tailor their verbal cues so as not to piss their girl off and yet managing to say f**K off to other men?
ReplyDeleteAt the same time I must admit as much as sometimes my men tend to be displaying a serious lack of tact in non verbal cues, I much rather the guy showing that he actually want to "chope" me rather than not even caring that I'm flirting with someone else... Although I must say, Zed's tissue paper stunt is OTT!
Conversely, girls let's admit it, we tend to do things to show our "possession" over the guy as well. Like talking softly, forcing him to stand closer to you to hear you well. Giving him a playful tap on the knee and letting it stay there 2 seconds too long, sharing his food and stuff. These are clear signals to other alpha females to "f**k off".
Men may not know this and hell! Sometimes we girls don't know it too.
What does that say about out evolution in the chasing game? Are women more advanced that we have learned to be subtle? Or men just displaying the signals that other male respond to and despite the ability to be more advanced, chosing to stick to CLEAR, DIRECT signals...?
You decide.
But boys, as much as I love how chivalrous you can be,
DO
NOT
TOUCH
MY
BAG!
(",)
Guys holding girlfriends' bags ??
ReplyDeleteEhh . I'm not too sure about this but perhaps this is some guys' non-verbal cue to tell the rest of the world that, "this girl belongs to ME" as handbags probably represent something personal to the girl .. and you are holding it ? Which sort of telling the rest I am allowed to be in physical contact with her personal stuff ? I dunno , just some random thoughts =D
"ownership"? sounds weird, girlfriend ≠ pet/toy/belongings.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, holding hands and walking together will do just fine. For the "holding her bag" part, I guess she should be holding her own handbag and the guy can help carry the shopping bags.
Nice post, Zed!
ReplyDeletePersonally, the only time when I would ask my boyfriend to carry my handbag would only for entertainment purposes=) Meaning to see him look like crap as what Amanda has mentioned. Heehee.
When we carry handbags, it is to complement our dressing and for us to keep the necessary items in it.
Hence, I don't see the need for a guy to help the girl carry her handbag. But this probably falls in the category of one of the love language, which is acts of service. And this differs from each individuals.
Just like Ben, i can relate to the scene whereby everybody is using tissue packet to reserve seats. This is especially prominant near the office buildings in Raffles place. Lunch time hour is only so short and everybody else is going for lunch the same time as you. Everywhere is crowded and queues are long. Hence, to save time people resort to reserving seats using tissue packets. Most of them, also uses newspapers to reserve. Every morning, they will take free newspapers such as Today or My paper with the intention of using it to reserve seats later on.
I guess, given such situation one have no choice but to follow these trends working adults have in order to ensure that they would have enough time to eat for their break.
Chloe, do not join them if you cannot beat them.
ReplyDeleteIn choosing to act similarly to the people you detest, you become the very person you detested.
You cannot save the world, but that does not mean you should go around killing people, right?