With about 350 million active users, Facebook boasts a population which exceeds that of America. Having that many people on one social media site, where does the power lie? Do we control Facebook, or does Facebook influence us?
Most Facebook users would be familiar with the many functions and applications that keep us entertained, but how many of us have tried the 'Deactivate Account' feature? Well, I have, and this experience has provided me a glimpse of this social media site's influence on us.
To access this "hidden" function, you would need to click on 'account settings' under 'settings'. The last option of your 'settings' page is where you will find the 'deactivate account' function.

Disclaimer: The following section contains The Truth. If you cannot live without your Facebook account, please click here now!
This is the page which separates you from total freedom. Let's discuss how Facebook influences you to remain with the dark side.

1. 'Your 222 friends will no longer be able to keep in touch with you"
Note the use of strong language to persuade you. If my friends are 'no longer able to keep in touch' with me, be it in person or over the phone, does this mean I will loose all my friends once I deactivate my account?
2. "Jian will miss you. Peh will miss you. Lynn will miss you..."
What if I see these people everyday? Will they still 'miss' me even though we share classes but I don't have Facebook?
3. "Why are you deactivating?"
In this section, Facebook gathers feedback to the reasons users may have in deactivating their account. This is a common practice for websites to improve their services. But wait! Facebook offers 'solutions' in order to keep you!
I. This is temporary. I'll be back.
Remember, you can reactivate at any time by logging in with your email and password, although you must have access to your current login email address. Also note that your admin status in any groups or events will not be automatically restored after activation.
II. I don't find Facebook useful.
You may find Facebook more useful by connecting with more of your friends. Check out our Friend Finder to see who you know on the site. Also, check out the Getting Started Guide to get an overview and tips on using Facebook. Don't find the Wall or Groups particularly useful? Besides our core features, you can also find additional functionality built by outside developers. Check out our Application Directory to find what else we have to offer.
III. I spend too much time using Facebook.
One way to control your interaction with Facebook is to limit the number of emails you receive from us. You can control what emails you receive here.
IV. I have a privacy concern.
Please remember that you can always control the information that you share and who can see it. Before you deactivate, please take a moment to learn more about how privacy works on Facebook. If there is a specific question or concern you have, we hope you'll let us know so we can address it in the future.
V. I get too many emails, invitations, and requests from Facebook.
You can control what email you receive from us here.
VI. I don't feel safe on Facebook.
You can alter your privacy settings to make sure you are more protected. We also allow you to organize your friends in different Friend Lists in order to share certain information with select people. Additionally, you can block certain people from seeing your profile and contacting you altogether.
VII. I don't understand how to use Facebook.
Learn the basics with the Getting Started Guide. You can also find answers from us, as well as other users, in our Help Center.
In conclusion, it is interesting to note how Facebook applies the persuasion techniques of Pathos(item 1 & 2) and Logos(item 3) in order to convince potential "quitters" that Facebook is good for them. So, where does the power lie now?
Interesting Post. Facebook gives users the feeling that they have the power. For instance you get to choose who u want to befriend or what applications u want to use or which group u want to be a part of. The fact that you decided to deactivate your account suggests that u are already in control of facebook and not the other way round.
ReplyDeleteI used to play World of Warcraft and when I decide to not fund up my account (deactivate), they too use such persuasion techniques to question myself again if I really want to quit the game. LoLx. In the end I did quit and till now it gives me a feeling that I am no longer hooked onto and controlled by the game but rather I am in control.
Facebook does have its positive uses such as networking and also advertising. It is a media that reaches out to millions and such a media if not used for such purposes is truely such a waste. I guess most people use facebook for keeping in touch with friends, personal fun and entertainment. However if used in a right manner, it does showcase a lot of potential.
To me facebook is like a game. Use it wrongly, it can control u and u become addicted. Use it correctly, u can reach out to millions of people. Power is decided by oneself, whether you want to hold on to that power or give it to someone else (aka facebook).
hi Mesa, thanks for reading!
ReplyDeleteu agree with you that facebook is a powerful social networking tool. just as the saying goes, facebook can be 'too much of a good thing', and excessive use can do us more harm than good.
so i guess you're advocating a balance, but sometimes, we just don't know when to stop!